- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, cleaned light green part and white part, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 medium (about 1 pound) white Rose potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked, drained and rinsed garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the leek and saute for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the carrots, zucchini and potatoes and saute for about 3 more minutes or until mixed well and beginning to soften.
- Add the tomato paste and chicken stock and simmer, partially covered for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the garbanzo beans and cook another 3 minutes or until heated through. Add the salt and pepper.
- Process the soup with a hand blender in the soup pot until pureed. Add the parsley and taste for seasoning.
- To serve: Ladle the soup into shallow soup bowls and garnish with the parsley and lemon rind.
To dress this up consider adding a dollop of Basil pesto or Sun-dried tomato pesto to the herb garnish. Cheese croutons would also be a good accompaniment.
Serves 4-6 people.