- 3/4 pound shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices Roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- In a medium bowl combine the cheese, mustard, egg yolks beer, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper until nicely blended.
- Place the tomato slices on a baking sheet. Brush with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil them until they begin to brown and are bubbling. Reserve.
- Toast the bread on one side until lightly browned. Remove from the toaster and spread the cheese mixture over the bread slices. Place the bread on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Place each open face sandwich on a plate and arrange a broiled tomato half on top. Serve immediately.
You can also add some crispy cooked bacon pieces to the cheese mixture for a richer version.
This may be prepared on day ahead through step 1. Cover and refrigerate.
Serves 4 people.