- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, white part only, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 pound peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 (7 or 8) ounce bottle roasted or steamed chestnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chipotle puree or 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream salt and white pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leeks and sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the squash and chestnuts and cook 3 more minutes or until nicely coated. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add the stock, syrup, salt and pepper, and mix together. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium low and, cover and simmer over medium heat for 20-25 minutes, or until the chestnuts are tender. Add the lemon juice.
- Meanwhile make the chipotle cream: combine the chipotle puree with creme fraiche in a small bowl and mix to combine. Season with salt and taste for seasoning. Reserve.
- Puree the soup in the pan with a hand blender or in a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade. Return the soup to the pot if necessary. Taste for seasoning.
- To serve, ladle the soup into heated bowls, swirl in a tablespoon of chipotle cream and garnish with chopped chives.
May be prepared up to 3 days in advance, covered and refrigerated. Reheat gently. This soup also freezes well. Adjust the seasonings when you reheat the frozen soup.
Serves 4-6 people.