- 5 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes (about 6 medium)
- 3 cups tomato-based vegetable juice
- 2¼ cups chopped English hothouse cucumber (from 1 large), divided
- 1 cup chopped red onion (about 1 small), divided
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 small garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 to 2 teaspoons anchovy paste, or to taste
- Purchased croutons (optional; for garnish)
- Working in 2 batches, puree chopped tomatoes, vegetable juice, 1¼ cups chopped cucumber, ½ cup chopped red onion, extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons chopped basil, red wine vinegar, mayonnaise, garlic, and anchovy paste in blender until smooth. Transfer to bowl. Season gazpacho to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- Stir remaining 1 cup chopped cucumber and ½ cup chopped red onion into gazpacho. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Divide gazpacho evenly among bowls. Garnish with chopped basil and Parmesan croutons, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6 people.