- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound white turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- White pepper
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream, optional
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large sauté pan or shallow casserole heat the oil and the butter on medium high heat, Sauté the onion for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add the turnips and parsnips and sauté the vegetables, stirring to coat them, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the stock and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 to17 minutes.
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process the vegetables and stock until smooth. Add salt and pepper and cream if desired and process to mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- To serve transfer puree to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley. Or Serve in a shallow casserole dotted with breadcrumbs and butter and baked until brown and crispy.
May be prepared up to 1 day ahead, covered and refrigerated. Gently reheat in a saucepan just before serving.
Serves 6 to 8 people.