- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons fresh finely chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut-up
- 2 yams (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1 -inch dice
- 1 leek, light green and white part only, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, for garnish
- Rosemary sprigs, for garnish
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl and mix until blended. Add the garlic cloves. Taste for seasoning. Place the chicken in a lock-top plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Make sure the marinade is evenly distributed. Seal the bag and refrigerate for ½ to 4 hours
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place the chicken with the marinade in a large shallow roasting pan. Place the diced yam and leeks around the chicken, making sure to coat them with the marinade.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no pinkness remains and the skin is brown and crispy and the yams are tender. (You may need to remove the breasts earlier since they cook faster than other parts of the chicken. Place on a platter, cover with foil.) When the remaining chicken is cooked remove the chicken to the serving platter.
- To finish the sauce: place the pan with the yams on the heat, add the orange juice, zest and chopped rosemary and reduce the sauce, stirring it, until slightly thickened, about 2 more minutes. Taste for seasoning. Pour over the chicken pieces and serve immediately. Garnish with more rosemary leaves.
The yams add another note of flavor and complete it. If you prefer to serve another starch, omit the yams and cook as directed.
Green Beans with Glazed Shallots and Lemon make a fine accompaniment.
Serves 4 to 6 people.