- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ounce bottle red food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 pound (2 -8-ounce packages) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Set aside
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients together. Reserve.
- Combine the eggs, vinegar, vanilla and buttermilk in a glass measuring cup and whisk together until blended. Reserve.
- Place the oil in large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer on medium-speed slowly add the sugar and beat until incorporated, about 1 minute. Add the food coloring and beat until bright red. Alternate half of the dry and wet ingredients on medium speed. Repeat with remaining ingredients ending with the wet ingredients, until the batter is completely mixed together and there are no lumps.
- Transfer the batter evenly into the cake pans. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 35 to 38 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of each cake. Remove and cool in the pans. When cool, carefully loosen the sides of the cake and invert onto cooling racks.
- Make the frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese together with an electric mixer on medium speed. Slowly add the vanilla and powdered sugar until incorporated; the mixture should be a thick frosting-like consistency.
- Place one cake layer upside down on a cake platter and spread frosting over the top and sides. Place the remaining cake right side up and frost the top and the sides until all of the cake is covered. Try to evenly cover the cake. Clean off any residual frosting on the platter. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. This can be made up to one day completely ahead and kept refrigerated. Remove from the refrigerator 20 minutes before serving.
Makes a 2 layer 9 inch cake.