- 1 European cucumber
- 2 cups fresh shelled peas (about
- 2 pounds unshelled), or 2 cups frozen petits pois (small peas), defrosted
- 4 scallions, light green and white parts only, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 European cucumber, finely diced (reserved from making the soup)
- 1/3 cup frozen petits pois (small peas), defrosted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream for garnish
- To make the soup: Cut three-quarters of the cucumber into 2-inch chunks. (Dice the rest finely and set aside for the relish.)
- In a large blender, combine the cucumber chunks, peas, scallions, mint, and broth and blend on high until completely puréed. Add the sour cream and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and blend well. Taste for seasoning. (If the soup is not totally smooth you can pour it through a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl.) Refrigerate the soup until chilled, at least 4 hours.
- To make the relish: Combine the diced cucumber, peas, mint, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix to blend well. Taste for seasoning.
- Just before serving, stir the soup, which may have separated during refrigeration. Pour the soup into small bowls and garnish with the sour cream and relish. Serve immediately.
This may be made through step 3 up to a day ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Readjust the seasonings and mix to blend well before serving.