- 11⁄2 pounds assorted sausages: sweet, hot, or Turkey Sausages with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, optional
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 pound green beans, yellow wax beans or sugar snap peas, cut into 2-inch pieces and cooked until crisp-tender
- 21⁄2 pounds peeled and coarsely chopped ripe red and, if available, yellow tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound dried small pasta shells
For the garnish:
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare a grill for medium-high-heat grilling. Arrange the sausages on the grill rack and grill 3 inches from the heat for about 20 minutes, rotating them on all sides until the fat runs clear. (Alternatively, place them on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high power for 4 minutes, or until the fat runs clear.) Transfer to a platter and let cool. When cool, cut into 1⁄4-inch slices.
- To make the sauce, in a large, deep skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, making sure it does not burn. Add the green beans and saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until some of the liquid has evaporated. Use a potato masher to crush the tomatoes. Add the corn and cook for 2 minutes. Add the basil, parsley, salt and pepper and taste for seasoning. Add the sausages to the sauce and taste again for seasoning.
- Add salt to a large pot of boiling water. Add the pasta and cook over high heat until al dente, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Place the pasta in the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Garnish with the basil and a few tablespoons of the parmesan. Pass the remaining cheese separately. Serve immediately.
The sauce can be prepared up to 8 hours ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Remove from the refrigerator 1⁄2 hour before reheating. Gently reheat the sauce.
Serves 6 to 8 people.