- 2 frying chickens (31⁄2 pound each), cut up
For the marinade:
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Taste for seasoning. Arrange the chicken pieces in a shallow, large nonaluminum dish and pour the marinade over the chicken. Cover, refrigerate and marinate for 2 to 4 hours, turning several times.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve the marinade in a small saucepan. Place the chicken in a large enough roasting pan to hold the chicken pieces comfortably. Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 35 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Add the juices from the roasting pan to the marinade in the saucepan. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and boil for about 7 to 10 minutes or until the marinade is reduced to a glaze.
- Just before serving, heat a barbecue to medium-high for grilling. Place the chicken on the barbecue and grill, basting with the sauce, for about 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, or until the skin is crisp and brown. Serve with the remaining glaze.
Can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead through step 3, covered and refrigerated. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 1⁄2 an hour before grilling. The sauce may be refrigerated and then reheated just before grilling.
Serves 6 to 8.