- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 cup cake flour, plus more for greasing pan
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lime zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Fresh fruit salad or berries, for serving
- Store-bought lemon curd, for serving
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with butter and dust it with flour. Combine the 1 cup cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-size bowl.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed or in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, beat the 1/2 cup butter until softened. Slowly add the sugar and beat the mixture until it is light, thick and lemon-colored. Add the eggs, vanilla and lime and lemon zest, and beat until incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk and lemon juice until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean and the top is nicely browned. Cool for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cake rack that has been placed on top of waxed paper.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze: In a medium-size bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lime juice, and mix until the sugar has dissolved and the glaze is smooth with no sugar lumps.
- Spoon the glaze over the cake in a pretty pattern. Place on a serving plate. Serve with a bowl of your favorite berries or fresh fruit and lemon curd, if desired.
This can be made a day ahead, covered well and kept at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings.