- 3 cups cold cooked long-grain rice (recipe here)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 1/2 cup dried black mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cooked barbecued pork, (Chinese -style), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen petite pois (baby peas)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- To separate the rice grains, wet your hands and rub the rice grains with wet hands. Place in a mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl beat the eggs lightly. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok on medium-high heat. When hot, add the eggs and stir continuously until soft curds form. Remove and set aside.
Turn up the heat to high. Heat another tablespoon of oil in the wok, swirling around to coat the sides. When the oil is hot but not smoking add the shrimp toss every 20 seconds for 1-2 minutes or until they just turn pink. Add the sherry and cook another minute. Remove and add to the cooked eggs and reserve.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat and add the rice. Toss every 20-30 seconds until it becomes lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, pork, peas, corn, broth, soy sauce and green onions and mix to combine. Add the cooked shrimp, eggs and peanuts and stir the rice mixture until the egg is in small pieces and all the ingredients are heated through, about another minute. Taste for seasoning. Place in a serving bowl and serve immediately.
- Quick Fried Rice Tips
- The variations on this recipe are endless. If you don’t have barbecued pork, use Chinese sausage; if you like a vegetarian version, instead of meat use your favorite vegetables like chopped carrots, zucchini, peppers, cauliflower or broccoli.
Serves 6 people.