- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves (about 2 medium bunches)
- ½ cup firmly packed parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- While the motor is running, add the garlic to a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until pureed. Add the basil and parsley and process until finely chopped. Add the pine nuts and finely chop.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil in a fine stream. Add the pepper.
- Just before serving, add the cheese and process until well blended. Taste for seasoning. Refrigerate the pesto in a tightly covered container until ready to use.
Can be prepared up to 1 week ahead through step 2 and refrigerated. Add the cheese just before serving.
Makes 1.5 cups.