- 2 heads of butter lettuce, pale inner leaves only, washed and dried
- 1⁄3 pound honey-baked ham, cut into julienne
- 1⁄3 pound smoked chicken or roast turkey, cut into julienne
- 8 ounces Monterey jack or Swiss cheese, cut into julienne
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, cut into quarters
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large salad serving bowl, arrange the leaves of the butter lettuce, tearing the larger leaves into bite-size pieces. Arrange the ham, smoked chicken and cheese on top of the lettuce. You can keep each ingredient separate from the others or jumble them all together. The julienne strips could radiate outward from the center of the salad like the spokes of a wheel. Place the wedges of cherry tomato and hard-boiled egg among the main ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, shallot, and salt and pepper until well-blended. While continuously whisking the dressing, drizzle in the oil, and continue whisking for another 10 to 20 seconds until emulsified.
- The salad should be served with the dressing on the side, then dressed and tossed at the table.
Makes 4 servings.