- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white part only, finely chopped
- 5 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped, about 2 1/2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups corn kernels (about 4 ears), cobs reserved and cut in half
- 8 fresh basil leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup croutons
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes; cook until slightly softened, 3 minutes. Add the flour; stir until flour dissolves. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the corn kernels, basil leaves, tomato paste, chicken stock and corncobs. Heat to a simmer; cook, partially covered, 25 minutes. Remove the corncobs and discard.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or food processor. Pour the soup through a fine mesh strainer into a large container. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cool to room temperature; refrigerate at least 4 hours. Serve, garnished with croutons, a dollop of sour cream and a basil sprig.
Makes 4 servings