- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch diced seedless yellow or red watermelon
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch diced European cucumber
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups mixed greens, such as spring greens, arugula or mache
- 6 large, ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- Combine all of the relish ingredients in a medium bowl carefully, making sure to not break the watermelon into smaller pieces. Reserve.
- In a small bowl, add the red wine vinegar. While whisking, slowly stream in the olive oil and continue whisking until the dressing is emulsified. Add the chives and season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, arrange the mixed greens in the center of a large circular platter. Cut the tomatoes into 1 1/2-inch slices and arrange on a platter in a circular pattern overlapping.
- Pour about half of the dressing over the relish and mix to combine. Taste for seasoning. Place a dollop of relish on each tomato slice. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve immediately.
Relish and dressing may be made up to 2 hours ahead, covered and kept at room temperature. It is best to finish this just before serving.
- Substitute diced or tiny balls of fresh mozzarella or crumbled goat cheese for the feta cheese.
- Double the recipe. Use a very large platter or 2 platters.
- Arrange the salad in stacks. Place a slice of tomato on the bottom of a salad plate and then a dollop of relish. Repeat 1 more time.
Serves 6-8 people