- 6 medium ripe tomatoes, (about 3 pounds), coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar, preferably Spanish
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups packed day-old bread (French or sourdough), cut in 2-inch bread cubes
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 2 ounces Spanish ham, shredded
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients except egg and ham. Mix the ingredients around so that the bread has a chance to soak up the liquids. Let rest for about 15 minutes or until the bread is softened.
- In batches puree the soup. If your blender doesn’t totally puree the soup, you can pass it through a food mill for a smoother texture. Transfer to a bowl in batches and, when all has been pureed, taste for seasoning.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days ahead of serving. Season to taste just before serving.
- To serve ladle soup in soup bowls and garnish with the chopped egg and ham. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6 people.