- 1 1/4 cups warm water (between 105 and 115 F)
- One 1/4-ounce packet active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups white bread flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pour the warm water into a large measuring cup, stir in the yeast and olive oil, and let sit for a few minutes, or until the mixture starts to bubble. On a clean surface, mix together both flours and the salt and form a large well in the middle. Once the yeast is ready, pour it carefully into the well. Using a fork, slowly begin to bring the flour into the well to incorporate it. Continue this process until the center is no longer runny and then bring the rest of the dough together until well incorporated and smooth. You can also make the dough in the food processor by combining the wet and dry ingredients together and pulsing until smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a large oiled bowl and cover with a warm damp cloth. Place the bowl in a warm room for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flour-dusted surface. Knead with your hands to extract the air and divide the dough into two balls. Roll them out as described in the recipe above or in the recipe of your choice.
- The pizza dough may be made 1 day ahead, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated. Roll out the dough just before cooking.
Makes two 12-inch pizzas.