- ½ cup hazelnuts or ½ cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 1½ pounds fresh medium asparagus spears, peeled and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Red Pepper Vinaigrette
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 medium shallot
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper, seeded
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped, seeded, sweet red pepper
For Hazelnut Vinaigrette;
- Preheat oven to 350F. Toast hazelnuts in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and rub off skins with a dish towel and coarsely chop. Reserve.
- Whisk together ingredients. Reserve.
For Red Pepper Vinaigrette
- In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process the garlic, shallot, and red pepper until minced. Add the vinegars, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and basil. Process until combined. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil. Taste for seasoning. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Toast the pine nuts until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 450F. Place the asparagus spears on a baking sheet and toss with the oil and salt and pepper so they are evenly coated.
- Roast for about 12 minutes or until tender, very slightly browned. The time will depend upon how thick the asparagus are.
- Using tongs, place the asparagus on a platter and spoon vinaigrette over. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts; serve warm. When ready to serve, pour the vinaigrette evenly over the asparagus. Sprinkle the diced red pepper and toasted pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Serves 4 people.