- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup canned Italian plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 2 teaspoons good‑quality curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups chicken, beef or vegetarian stock
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 cup medium packed fresh spinach, well rinsed and coarsely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and bay leaf until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and stir to release the flavors, about 1 minute.
- Add the plum tomatoes and their juice, lentils, stock and sliced lemon to the saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the lemon slices.
- Just before serving, stir in the spinach and simmer on low heat until the spinach is wilted but bright green. Taste for seasoning.
Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
Serves 4-6 people.